CBSE | Department of Skill Education
CURRICULUM FOR CLASS VIII (INSPIRE MODULE)
The objective of this module/curriculum is to develop a readiness for understanding and appreciating Artificial Intelligence and its application in our lives.
This module/ curriculum focuses on:
- Helping learners understand the world of Artificial Intelligence and its applications through games, activities and multi-sensorial learning to become AI-Ready.
- Introducing the learners to three domains of AI in an age appropriate manner.
- Allowing the learners to construct meaning of AI through interactive participation and engaging hands-on activities.
LEARNING OUTCOMES : Learners will be able to
- 1. Identify and appreciate Artificial Intelligence and describe its applications in daily life.
- 2. Relate, apply and reflect on the Human-Machine Interactions.
- 3. Identify and interact with the three domains of AI: Data, Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing.
- 4. Undergo assessment for analysing their progress towards acquired AI-Readiness skills.
- 5. Imagine, examine and reflect on the skills required for the futuristic opportunities.
- 6. Unleash their imagination towards smart homes and build an interactive story around it.
- 7. Understand the impact of Artificial Intelligence on Sustainable Development Goals to develop responsible citizenship.
- 8. Research and develop awareness of skills required for jobs of the future.
- 9. Describe the potential ethical considerations of AI.
- 10. Gain awareness about AI bias and AI access.
- 11. Develop effective communication and collaborative work skills.
UNIT WISE DISTRIBUTION
|UNIT||NAME OF THE UNIT||DURATION||PERIODS|
|1||EXCITE||02 Hours 40 Mins.||4 Periods|
|2||RELATE||02 Hours||3 Periods|
|3||PURPOSE||02 Hours||3 Periods|
|4||POSSIBILITIES||02 Hours||3 Periods|
|5||AI ETHICS||03 Hours 20 Mins.||5 Periods|
|TOTAL||12 Hours||18 Periods|
UNIT 1 :- EXCITE
Session: Introduction to AI and setting up the context of the curriculum
Ice Breaker Activity: Dream Smart Home idea Learners to design a rough layout of floor plan of their dream smart home.
Recommended Activity: The AI Game Learners to participate in three games based on different AI domains.
- Game 1: Rock, Paper and Scissors (based on data)
- Game 2: Mystery Animal (based on Natural Language Processing – NLP)
- Game 3: Emoji Scavenger Hunt (based on Computer Vision – CV)
- AI Quiz (Paper Pen/Online Quiz)
- To write a letter. Writing a Letter to one’s future self.
Learners to write a letter to self-keeping the future in context. They will describe what they have learnt so far or what they would like to learn someday
- To identify and appreciate Artificial Intelligence and describe its applications in daily life.
- To relate, apply and reflect on the Human-Machine Interactions
- To identify and interact with the three domains of AI: Data, Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing.
- To undergo an assessment for analysing progress towards acquired AI-Readiness skills.
- To imagine, examine and reflect on the skills required for the futuristic opportunities
UNIT 2 : RELATE
Video Session: To watch a video.
Introducing the concept of Smart Cities, Smart Schools and Smart Homes
Recommended Activity: To write an Interactive Story
Learners to draw a floor plan of a Home/School/City and write an interactive story around it using Story Speaker extension in Google docs.
- Learners to relate to application of Artificial Intelligence in their daily lives.
- To unleash their imagination towards smart homes and build an interactive story around it.
- To relate, apply and reflect on the Human-Machine Interactions.
UNIT 3 :- PURPOSE
Session: Introduction to sustainable development goals
Recommended Activity: Go Goals Board Game
- Learners to answer questions on Sustainable Development Goals
- To understand the impact of Artificial Intelligence on Sustainable Development Goals to develop responsible citizenship.
UNIT 4 :- POSSIBILITIES
Session: Theme-based research and Case Studies
- Learners will listen to various case-
studies of inspiring start-ups, companies or communities where AI has been involved in real-life.
- Learners will be allotted a theme around which they need to search for present AI trends and have to visualise the future of AI in and around their respective theme.
Recommended Activity: Job Ad Creating activity
- Learners to create a job advertisement
for a firm describing the nature of job available and the skill-set required for it 10 years down the line. They need to figure out how AI is going to transform the nature of jobs and create the Ad accordingly.
- To research and develop awareness of skills required for jobs of the future.
- To imagine, examine and reflect on the skills required for the futuristic opportunities.
- To develop effective communication and collaborative work skills.
UNIT 5 :- AI ETHICS
Recommended Activity: Ethics Awareness
- Students play the role of major stakeholders and they have to decide what is ethical and what is not for a given scenario.
Session: AI Bias and AI Access
- Discussing about the possible bias in data collection
- Discussing about the implications of AI technology
Recommended Activity: Balloon Debate
- Students divide in teams of 3 and 2 teams are given same theme. One team goes in affirmation to AI for their section while the other one goes against it.
- They have to come up with their points as to why AI is beneficial/harmful for the society.
- To understand and reflect on the ethical issues around AI.
- To gain awareness around AI bias and AI access.
- To let the students analyse the advantages and disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence.
REFERENCE :- CBSE WEBSITE ( cbse.nic.in)