What are Tenses? Tense is a form of verb that shows the time it happens. It describes an action with respect to time.
Tenses Exercises For CBSE Class 7 in PDF Format
- Tenses Exercise For Class 7 (Future Tense) – Worksheet 3
- Tenses Exercise For Class 7 (Future Tense) – Worksheet 2
- Tenses Exercise For Class 7 (Future Tense) – Worksheet 1
- Tenses Exercise For Class 7 (Present Tense) – Worksheet 3
- Present Tense Worksheet For CBSE Class 7
- Present Tense Exercises For CBSE Class 7 English
- Past Tense Exercise For Class 7 – English Grammar
- Past Tense Worksheet For CBSE Class 7
- Past Tense Exercises for Class 7 CBSE – English Grammar
- Future Tense worksheet for CBSE Class 7
- Future Time Reference Tenses Worksheet for Class 7
- Simple Past Tense Worksheet For CBSE Class 7
- Past Tense Exercise With Solved Examples for CBSE Class 7
- Simple Present Tense Worksheet for CBSE Class 7
- Present Tense Exercises With Solved Examples for CBSE Class 7
- Present Perfect Tense Worksheet for CBSE Class 7
- Simple Future Tense Exercise for CBSE Class 7
- Present Perfect Continuous Tense Exercise for Class 7
- Present Continuous Tense Exercise for Class 7 English
- Exercise on Past Perfect Tense for CBSE Class 7 English
- Worksheet on Past Perfect Tense for CBSE Class 7 English
- Past Perfect Continuous Tense Exercise for Class 7
- Past Continuous Tense Worksheet for Class 7 English
- Future Perfect Continuous Tense Exercise Class 7
Tenses Practice Exercises for Class 7 English
Exercise 1 with Answers
Put in the present continuous form of the verb in brackets.
- Please be quiet. I ________ (try) to read my book.
- I ___________ (not/use) the computer at the moment so you can use it.
- Mary is ill so Sue ___________ (teach) her lessons today.
- Excuse me, I _________ (look) for a hotel. Is there one near here?
- ____________ (you/wait) for someone?
- Jack, you are very careless. You ____________ (always/forget) to do your
- The cost of living _____________ (rise) very fast. Every year things are more
- What ____________ (you/do)? I __________________ (clean) my shoes.
- Why ___________________ (not/wear) shorts? It’s so hot today.
- The neighbours are so noisy! They _______________ (always/argue) loudly.
- am trying
- am not using
- is teaching
- am looking
- Are you waiting
- were always forgetting
- is rising
- are you doing, am cleaning
- aren’t you wearing
- are always arguing
Exercise 2 with Answers
Put the verb into the correct form, present continuous or present simple.
- I ________ (not/belong) to this particular government committee.
- Hurry! The bus ________ (come). I ________ (not/want) to miss it.
- Gregory is a vegetarian. He ________ (not/eat) meat.
- I ________ (1ook) for the manager. I can’t find him anywhere.
- We are successful because we __________ (take) the time to talk to our customers.
- John __________ (deal) with all the enquiries about sales.
- At the moment we __________ (make) a training video for Siemens.
- __________ (you/know) what Mr Briceson _________ (do)? He is not in
- I __________ (apply) for a job in the sales department, but I don’t know if I will be
successful. It ___________ (depend) on whether or not they have any vacancies.
- Unemployment ___________ (fall) and is now down to 5.6%.
- Jane is doing some research in the library. She needs it for a book she
- While Anna is away on holidays, Matt ___________ (work) in her office.
- He ___________ (teach) French and German at University and ___________
- There ___________ (be)two flights to Honduras this afternoon. The British Airways
flight ___________ (leave) at 13:00 and ___________ (arrive) at 22:00.
- Inflation ___________ (rise) at a rate of 2% per annum.
- do not belong
- is coming , do not want
- doesn’t eat
- am looking
- are making
- Do you know, is doing
- am applying, depends
- is falling
- is writing
- is working
- teaches, is learning
- are, leaves, arrives
- is rising
Exercise 3 with Answers
Complete the sentences using the present perfect simple and today/this week/this year etc.
- I watched TV yesterday but I haven ‘t watched TV today.
- It rained last week but …………………………………………
- Last week I spent a lot of money but ………………………….
- I saw James yesterday but ……………………………………..
- I received a lot of post last month but …………………………
- It was warm last spring but ……………………………………
- it hasn’t rained this week.
- I haven’t spent any money this week.
- I haven’t seen him today.
- I haven’t received any post this month.
- it hasn’t been warm this spring.
Exercise 4 with Answer
Complete the sentences using the present perfect continuous and add since or for.
- Maria _________ (learn) English ____________ two years.
- I _________ (write) letters _________ 8:00.
- Robert and Jane _________ (travel) around Europe ___________ five weeks.
- We ____________ (go) to Ireland for our holidays ___________ 1968.
- It ____________ (rain) ___________ this morning.
- Anne ____________ (look) for a new job ___________ a long time.
- Mark ____________ (sell) computers ___________ he started his job with Olivetti.
- We ____________ (wait) for the bus ___________ twenty-five minutes.
- She ____________ (play) piano __ she was eight.
- They ____________ (watch) TV ___________ hours.
- has been learning , for
- have been writing , since
- have been travelling, for
- have been going , since
- has been raining , since
- has been looking , for
- has been selling , since
- have been waiting, for
- has been playing , since
- have been watching, for
Exercise 5 with Answer
Put in the correct verb form: present perfect or past simple.
- How long _____________ (she/study) German?
- When _____________ (he/begin) to study Business Administration?
- Who ________________ ( write ) the play Dancing at Lughnasa.
- ________________ (you/visit) any museums when you were in Sofia.
- Henry has a perfect school record. He ________________ (not/be) sick this year.
- Prices ________________ (go) up. Things are much more expensive this week.
- What ________________ (happen) to you. I waited all afternoon for you.
- Marilyn ________________ (have) an accident. She was running for the bus when she
________________ (fall) down.
- Mr Arnold ________________ (win) the Exporter of the Year prize twice. His brother
________________ (win) it four times already.
- Alfred Hitchcock ________________ (make) lots of films in his long career.
- I ________________ (just/remember) something.
- ________________ (you/reply) to Mr Aston’s letter yet?
- Mr Miller ________________ (work) in a travel agency for years. Then he gave it up.
- Melanie lives in Bucharest. She ________________ (live) there all her life.
- My uncle died in 1960. I ________________ (never/have) the opportunity to meet him
- has she studied/has she been studying
- 2. did he begin
- Did you visit
- hasn’t been
- have gone
- has had; fell
- has won; has won
- have just remembered
- Have you replied
- has lived
- never had
Exercise 6 with Answer
Complete the sentences using the past perfect or the past perfect continuous.
- By the time I got home they __________ (eat) all the cake.
- The room was very smoky. I could tell that my brother __________ (smoke) in
there all afternoon.
- She retired at fifty-five, but she __________ (work) hard all her life.
- James was very irritable. He __________ (look) for his contact lens for an hour and
he still ____________ (not / find) it!
- I was furious with Tom when he arrived. I ____________ (wait) for him for hours.
- Harry was sad to sell his car. He ____________ (have) it for a long time.
- Mary was covered in white paint. She ____________ (decorate) the kitchen all
- Lucy went into the sitting room. The TV was on. Her brother ____________ (watch) it
and ____________ (forget) to switch it off.
- Hattie felt terribly sick. She ____________ (eat) too many cream cakes.
- The journey was incredibly long. We ____________ (travel) for ten hours and we
weren’t even half way yet.
- had eaten
- had been smoking
- had worked
- had been looking , hadn’t found
- had been waiting
- had had
- had been decorating
- had been watching , had forgotten
- had eaten
- had been travelling
Exercise 7 with Answers
Fill in the blanks with Present Participle
- ___________ (hear) the lion’s roar, the deer ran away.
- While ____________ (cross) the road, the old beggar was hit by a speeding
- She has a ____________ (smile ) face.
- Her ___________ (charm) smile wins many hearts.
- We must prevent their ___________ (go) away.
- The man ____________ (sit) on the bench is known to me.
- Cars ____________ (speed) away can be very dangerous for pedestrians.
- I found him ____________ (drink) beer.
- He began ___________ _ (shout) at the poor man.
- Children love _ (eat) chocolates.
- Hearing the lion’s roar, the deer ran away.
- While crossing the road, the old beggar was hit by a speeding truck.
- She has a smiling face.
- Her charming smile wins many hearts.
- We must prevent their going away.
- The man sitting on the bench is known to me.
- Cars speeding away can be very dangerous for pedestrians.
- I found him drinking beer.
- He began shouting at the poor man.
- Children love eating chocolates.
Exercise 8 with Answers
Fill in the blanks with Present Participle :
- We saw many ____________ (excite) tricks in the magic show.
- ____________ (keep) in mind his health, the doctor advised him rest.
- He felt pity on the _____________ (cry) child.
- The peon came _____________ (run) to the office.
- A _____________ (roll) stone gathers no moss.
- Don’t get off a _____________ (run) car.
- Would you mind my _____________ (come) too?
- _____________ (Climb) mountains is my passion.
- You should stop _____________ (advise) others.
- _____________ (sing) can be a rewarding career too.
- We saw many exciting tricks in the magic show.
- Keeping in mind his health, the doctor advised him rest.
- He felt pity on the crying child.
- The peon came running to the office.
- A rolling stone gathers no moss.
- Don’t get off a running car.
- Would you mind my coming too?
- Climbing mountains is my passion
Practice Exercise 9
Identify the verbs in these sentences. State whether the actions take place in the past, the present, or the future.
- Amphibians evolved into reptiles. ____________________________
- Running a kitchen involves a lot of discipline and speed.____________________________
- They will remove the debris in a couple of days.____________________________
- The two speakers of the evening function reached early.____________________________
- The principal and the staff are waiting for the dignitary to arrive.____________________________
- The new teacher will teach us this topic.____________________________
- Rahema ran a short distance to catch the bus.____________________________
- Amir gave her a piece of advice.____________________________
- The children always listen to her advice.____________________________
- People these days have become very selfish.____________________________
Practice Exercise 10
Fill in the blanks and complete the following sentences with the most suitable form of the verbs ( Tenses ) given in brackets.
- They __________________(organise) this function at the Town Hall on 16th of next month.
- Tomorrow __________________ (be) Sunday
- We __________________ (devote) some time for practice on holidays. .
- Shela __________________ (read) a lot of books in her leisure time .
- Look, she __________________ (sit) in that room with her brother
- Both of them __________________ (read) novels now.
- I __________________ (go) by school bus every day.
- But I __________________ (go) with my friend in his car tomorrow.
- We __________________ (come) back soon.
- She __________________ (get) some time to discuss the matter with them.
Practice Exercise 11
Fill in the blanks with correct form of tenses:
1.They __________ (learn) to operate the computer.
2. Girls __________ (love) to buy bangles.
3. The youth festival __________ (begin) in the coming weekend.
4.The sun ___________________ in the west. (set)
5.Education ___________________ people wise. (make
6.We ___________________ Christmas on 25 December. (celebrate)
7.My sister ___________________ how to play the guitar. (know)
8.Leela ___________________ for a morning walk daily. (go)
9.The women ___________________ cars. (drive)
10.Rohan ___________________ a picture. (paint)
11.She ___________________ a novel. (read)
12.Emma ___________________ to buy a dress for her sister. (plan)
13.They ___________________ a school here. (construct)
Practice Exercise 12
Underline the verbs in different present tense form. State the tense of each underlined verb.
1. Rohan is crying loudly.
2. The workers work hard.
3. The dog is sleeping in its kennel.
4. Surya is taking singing lessons these days.
5. The teacher has tried her best to prepare them for their exams.
6. The boy is reading the newspaper.
7. Sonia is cleaning her room.
8. A stitch in time saves nine.
9. He polishes his shoes every evening.
10.The patients have come to meet the doctor.
Types of Tenses
- Present Tense
- Simple Present Tense
- Present Continuous Tense
- Present Perfect Tense
- Present Perfect Continuous Tense
- Past Tense
- Simple Past Tense
- Past Continuous Tense
- Past Perfect Tense
- Past Perfect Continuous Tense
- Future Tense
- Simple Future Tense
- Future Continuous Tense
- Future Perfect Tense
- Future Perfect Continuous Tense
There are three main categories of nouns as follows;
- Present Tense
- Past Tense
- Future Tense
Refers to actions that have already taken place. They are divided into four categories:
a) Simple past / past participle Refers to actions that have just happened. They are formed from verbs.
Past participles usually end with -ed, -d, -t, en, or -n
The young man has recovered from the accident
I cleaned the utensils as requested.
b) Past Continuous Tense / Past Progressive Tense Refers to continuing action in the past and often used to set the scene for another action.
They usually end with -ing
They were sleeping when the alarm went off.
He wasn’t talking when the teacher walked in.
Was he standing when the teacher walked in?
While he was rubbing the board, the teacher walked in.
c) Past Perfect Tense They are used to emphasize that an action was completed before another took place.
The pupils had completed their homework when the bell rung.
In the above sentence, when the bell rung, the pupils had already completed their homework.
It had rained when the school bus arrived.
In the above sentence, by the time the school bus arrived, it had already rained.
d) Past Perfect Continuous Tense / Past Perfect Progressive Tense They are used to emphasize that an action was on-going or completed before another action started.
He had been eating lunch when the bell rung.
She had been lying in the field when the teacher approached her.
Refers to actions that are taking place at the moment. There are four types of present tense.
a) Present Simple Tense Used for actions done always or as a habit. The base form of the verb (for plural) and adding ‘s’ to the base form in singular are used. Examples in sentences
They walk in a good style.
She walks in a good style.
b) Present Continuous Tense It is used in reference to actions that are going on now. They use a helping verb in the present tense -ing from of the verb. Examples in sentences
Regina is going to school.
we are learning how to swim.
c) Present Perfect Tense This is used in reference to actions that have just been done and completed. Has/has + ed form of the verb is used. Examples in sentences include;
I have called my mum.
The teacher has left some minutes ago.
d) Present Perfect Continuous Tense Refers to actions that have been going on, they are either still going on or are complete. This tense uses has/have + been + ing form of the verb. Example in sentences;
Mr. Maina has been teaching for six years.
John has been sleeping in class since morning.
This is used to refer to actions that will take place in a time to come. It takes three forms
a) Future Simple Tense Actions that will take place in the near future, a time not long from now. The tense takes shall/will + present form of the verb. Examples in sentences;
I shall come in the afternoon.
They will come after the service.
Please Note SHALL is used with first person pronouns (I and We) while WILL is used with any other word or pronoun.
b) Future Continuous Tense Actions that will be going on for some time in the future, they take shall/will + be + ing from of the verb. Examples in sentences;
Mike will be going to Mombasa this afternoon.
The graduation ceremony will be happening in December.
c) Future Perfect Tense Refer to actions that will happen in the future and be completed before the start of another. The tense takes shall/will + have +ed form of the verb. Examples in sentences;
John will have arrived by the start of the next term.
I shall have boarded by the time the vehicle leaves.
Some important verb forms are given below.