Verbs are often used in a way that it indicates or denotes the time when an event occurs. These verbs that take up different forms to indicate the time of an action, event or condition by changing its form are called as tenses. Tenses can be broadly classified into three broad categories:
- Past Tense
- Present Tense
- Future Tense
Tenses Worksheets For CBSE Class 4 in PDF Format
Simple Present Tense Worksheet for CBSE Class 4
Present Continuous Tense Worksheet for CBSE Class 4
Simple Past Tense Worksheet for CBSE Class 4
CBSE Class 4 English Grammar Worksheet – Tenses
Future Continuous Tense Worksheet for Class 4
Future Tense Exercise for CBSE Class 4
Past Continuous Tense Exercise for Class 4
Simple Past Tense Exercise for Class 4
Present Continuous Tense Exercise for Class 4
Past Perfect Tense Worksheet for Class 4
Future Perfect Tense Worksheet for Class 4
Tenses Practice Exercises for Class 4 with answers
(Simple present tense, present continuous tense, simple past tense, past continuous tense and simple future tense)
Exercise 1: Choose the correct verb tense
- The sun __________ (rises/rose) in the east.
- Yesterday, we __________ (play/played) football in the park.
- She __________ (is/was) singing a song in the shower.
- I __________ (am/ was) feeling sick yesterday, but I’m fine now.
- They __________ (are/were) going to the movies tonight.
- The teacher __________ (teach/taught) us a new lesson yesterday.
- We __________ (have/had) lunch at noon every day.
- She __________ (runs/ran) a mile every morning.
Exercise 2: Change the verb tense
- She walks to school every day. (Present tense)
Answer: She walked to school yesterday. (Past tense)
- I will eat pizza for dinner tonight. (Future tense)
Answer: I am eating pizza for dinner tonight. (Present continuous tense)
- They are swimming in the pool. (Present continuous tense)
Answer: They were swimming in the pool. (Past continuous tense)
- We have visited Paris twice. (Present perfect tense)
Answer: We had visited Paris twice. (Past perfect tense)
- He will be studying for the exam next week. (Future continuous tense)
Answer: He is going to be studying for the exam next week. (Future continuous tense)
- The cat has caught a mouse. (Present perfect tense)
Answer: The cat caught a mouse. (Past simple tense)
- She is playing tennis with her friends. (Present continuous tense)
Answer: She will be playing tennis with her friends. (Future continuous tense)
- They had been waiting for the bus for 30 minutes. (Past perfect continuous tense)
Answer: They have been waiting for the bus for 30 minutes. (Present perfect continuous tense)
Exercise 3: Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb in brackets.
- I __________ (play) football every day. (Present Simple)
- She __________ (is, am, are) reading a book right now. (Present Continuous)
- Last week, we __________ (go) to the beach. (Past Simple)
- I __________ (will, shall) visit my grandparents next weekend. (Future Simple)
- They __________ (have) already eaten lunch. (Present Perfect)
Exercise 4: Complete the sentences with the correct continuous forms of the verbs in brackets.
- She doesn’t like to be disturbed when she ……………………………….. (work)
- I ………………………………. the flute when he called. (play)
- They ………………………………. ready when he came home. (get)
- The summer session ………………………………. on the 20th of this
- I ………………………………. for the shops to open last evening. (wait)
- Yes, she ………………………………. the conference. (attend)
- The universe ………………………………. and has been doing so since its
- Yesterday at six, I ………………………………. dinner. (prepare)
- Hurry up! We ………………………………. in an hour. (leave)
- I ………………………………. to the radio when my sister came back from
- She doesn’t like to be disturbed when she is working.
- I was playing the flute when he called.
- They were getting ready when he came home.
- The summer session will be starting on the 20th of this month.
- I was waiting for the shops to open last evening.
- Yes, she will be attending the conference.
- The universe is expanding and has been doing so since its beginning.
- Yesterday at six, I was preparing dinner.
- Hurry up! We will be leaving in an hour.
- I was listening to the radio when my sister came back from office.
Exercise 5: Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb in brackets in the simple past tense.
- My sister __________ (dance) at the party last night.
- We __________ (play) soccer in the park yesterday.
- She __________ (watch) a movie with her family on Sunday.
- They __________ (visit) their grandparents last weekend.
- I __________ (read) a book before going to bed.
Exercise 6: Rewrite the following sentences in the simple past tense.
- She is playing with her dog.
Answer: She played with her dog.
- I am eating lunch right now.
Answer: I ate lunch just now.
- They are watching TV in the living room.
Answer: They watched TV in the living room.
- We are going to the beach tomorrow.
Answer: We went to the beach yesterday.
- He is listening to music on his phone.
Answer: He listened to music on his phone.
Exercise 7: Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb in brackets in the simple future tense.
- We __________ (will, shall) go to the zoo next week.
- She __________ (is, am, are) going to study for her exam tomorrow.
- He __________ (will, shall) buy a new bike next month.
- They __________ (are, am, is) going to visit their cousins this summer.
- I __________ (will, shall) finish my homework tonight.
Exercise 8: Rewrite the following sentences in the simple future tense.
- I am eating breakfast right now.
Answer: I will eat breakfast soon.
- She is going to the store later.
Answer: She will go to the store later.
- They are watching a movie tonight.
Answer: They will watch a movie tonight.
- We are playing soccer tomorrow.
Answer: We will play soccer tomorrow.
- He is reading a book on the plane.
Answer: He will read a book on the plane.
Exercise 9: Fill in the blanks with the present continuous tense of the verbs given in the brackets:
- The old lady ________ up the stairs very slowly. (climb)
- She __________ us to set up a food stall. (help)
- The government _________ anything to control the prices. (not do)
- He _________ outside for you. He wants to talk to you. (wait)
- ________ any problem for you? (create)
- Why _________ you __________ angry with me? (get)
- Who __________ this factory? (manage)
- Can’t you keep quiet? You _________ me. (disturb)
- The last bell ________ Children ________ out of their classes. (ring, come)
- is climbing
- is helping
- is not doing
- is waiting
- Am, creating
- are, getting
- is managing
- are disturbing
- is ringing, are coming
Practice Tense Exercises for CBSE Class 4
I. Fill in the blanks with the simple present tense form of the given verb in brackets.
- Emily ______________ delicious cakes. (make)
- Rohan _____________ at a supermarket. (work)
- Indians _____________ homes on many festivals. (decorate)
- My little daughter ______________ her dolls. (adore)
II. Rewrite the given sentences in their present continuous form .
- The children take the sweets from the kitchen shelf.
- Rahul receives an award on the children’s day.
- I walk five miles to keep myself fit.
- The monkey swings on the branch.
III. Fill in the blanks with the simple past tense form of the given verb in brackets.
- Mrs. Robert ______________the stray dogs often. (feed)
- The cleaner _____________ the trash in the dustbin. (empty)
- The tailor ______________ my pants by an inch. (lengthen)
- She ________________her time in reading books. (spend)
IV. Rewrite the given sentences in their Past Continuous form.
- John waited for the train to arrive.
- We watched the solar eclipse last week.
- The director made the film last year.
- We listened to the cricket commentary all evening.
V. Fill in the blanks with the simple future tense form of the given verb in brackets.
- I _______________ build a hospital to the poor when I grow up.(build)
- The cook __________________all the sandwiches in foil and pack them.(wrap)
- We ____________________a good salary and some previliges. (demand)
- The police ______________________the thief sooner or later. (catch)
VI. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb given in the brackets as directed.
- I___________________________(listen) to the news.(past continuous)
- The train to Delhi__________________________(leave) from platform number three.
- Rita _________(give) a dance performance this evening. (simple future )
- We __________________(attend) her performance.(simple past)
- I _____(begin) to understand the present continuous tense. (simple past)
VII. Change the tense of the verbs given in the brackets as directed and rewrite the sentences.
- He was distributing newspapers to the entire neighbourhood. (change to simple present) 2 . We will visit our cousins during holidays.(change to simple past)
- I am going to the gym on Saturday. (change to simple future)
- My teacher gives homework everyday. (change to present continuous)
- I am typing a letter to my best friend. (change to past continuous)